There are moments which mark your life. Moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same and time is divided into two parts – before this, and after this. – Fallen
This past year has been a big one for me. I’ve been given the amazing opportunity to start up my own business doing what I love, taking photographs. It’s been a dream of mine to own a small business and I’m so excited to be chasing after my dream. So far it’s been challenging, exciting and demanding as I learn the ropes and just begin to understand all that’s involved.
The support has been amazing. I’m blessed with a extraordinarily talented and generous group of family and friends who help make everything just that bit easier. So it seems fitting that I end 2014 with a Thank You to everyone for their love and support. I’ll try to remember everything but if I forget something let me know!
Thank you to…
- My parents! For always encouraging me and supporting my decision to leave my job and go out on this adventure and for helping me find the funds to add to my ever-growing photography kit. Plus, they also have a growing collection of my work in their home. I’m sure they’ll show it to you if you fancy a visit!
- My talented friend Stephen who spent many, many hours working with me to design my logo. I love it and get compliments on it all the time. Thank you for your patience.
- Jenny & Robert at Glasgow Science Centre who made it possible for me to have my first ever exhibition and kept it on display for a whole year.
- Johanna, who has been a fan and supporter of my work for a couple of years now and even traveled to see my exhibition (it was lovely to finally meet you a couple of weeks ago!).
- Louisa, who bought my first official print and made me believe that this might actually be something I can do.
- Kim, who not only encouraged me to go for it after finding success and happiness in her own small business (Kimmycakesuk – check her out!) but also got me my first official portrait session booking with the lovely Peer Family.
- Katy, who has been working on her own business venture and cheering me on with mine, every step of the way.
- Ian, Sharon, Katy, Morna & Yaz who booked me to return to GSC and capture photos of the events there. I had a great time and was happy to be involved. Exciting and engaging people with science will always be an important part of my life.
- Everyone who has worked with me and given me honest feedback to help me figure out what works and what doesn’t.
- Laura, who put in hours of work to build this website and also spent weeks teaching me how to edit it and structure it myself. Your never-ending patience has been amazing while I struggle through all the jargon!
- Craig, Sophie, Jo, Joanna, Johanna, Claire, Lynn, John and my parents for looking over my website and checking it made sense.
- Fiona, Jennifer, Ian and Steven who have agreed to be part of a mini advisory board and offer their expertise and guidance in the future.
- Claire and Mairi who bought various prints of my Squirrel photos – some of my favourite shots from the year and made me even more determined to move in to wildlife photography.
There is no gallery selected or the gallery was deleted.
- Siobhan, for taking the time to look over my contracts and terms & conditions and made all the legal talk something I could actually follow!
- Everyone who has liked my page, retweeted my images, commented on Facebook, 365project or 500px – it may seem a very small thing on your side but trust me, it means a lot to me. Every little like and comment lifts my spirit and keeps me ploughing through the less glamorous side of being a small business owner (special nod to Jo B, Johanna and Sophie as they’ve been especially supportive in the world of social media!).
- And last, but far from least, Ewan. My other half. My better half. He has been everything from a problem solver to a food provider; a shoulder massager to a copy editor; a tech adviser to my much needed comedy relief; my number one fan and the all important shoulder to cry on when I’ve been completely overwhelmed by the process. I would not be here without you.
Thanks so much to you all. You’ve all played a part in making a dream come true. I cannot wait for the excitement and adventure in 2015 and I’m looking forward to my first run of bookings with my niece’s birthday party, the Mpiana family and a trip to see the Red Kites again.
Best wishes for you and yours in 2015! xx